Monday, March 10, 2014

Elder Sanok Arrives in Brasil

Well this past week has been a bit unnerving as we have anxiously awaited word that Daniel was safely in Porto Alegre.  We just assumed no news was good news as hard as that was!  We were happy to be able to talk to him last Monday while he was on a few of his layovers on his long journey from SLC to LAX to MIA to Porto Alegre (with a stop in between at another city in Brazil I cannot spell let alone pronounce).  He sounded excited yet nervous at the same time to get to Brazil but eager to get started :) 

He said they picked them all up at the airport and he was the only American out of like 20 and then they met their trainers and headed out.  He said the mission president is really nice but he doesn't speak a lick of English.  He is in an area called Águas Claras (about an hour from the city of Porto Alegre). This is the land of the Gauchos.

Here is his latest update for us:
Oi! Well, just in case you were wondering, I'm still alive. I've got to say, this is definitely the hardest thing I've ever done. I'm going to need your prayers more than ever right now as I struggle to adjust to the culture, language, and new lifestyle of mine. My living conditions are way different than I'm used to (I sleep on an old mattress on the floor, and bugs and lizards crawl on me when I sleep, ewwww). I have at least 5 blisters on each of my feet (we walk approximately an hour each way just to get to where we work), my stomach is trying to get used to the food, and the language is so overwhelming (the people speak like 1000 miles an hour). Fortunately, my companion and another elder living with me are both American so I'm able to speak English with them.  I'm doing a pretty good job though. The ward is really good and the youth like me because I teach them English words and can play guitar. They love it when I play American music.  The weather is a lot like Florida: hot and humid. When it rains, it comes out of nowhere and just pours and then is bright and sunny 15 minutes later.  There is no A/C in Brazil. Also, you don't flush toilet paper. And we have a washing machine but Brazil doesn't do dryers, so you have to hang dry everything. I had all my clothes hanging today and it rained while we were at lunch and got all my clothes wet again :(  The members are always feeding us, so once I get used to the food, Ill never go hungry. I usually just eat a little bit and then fill myself up on fruit or juice. I love this one soda here called Guarana! The coke here is way better too. 
-Elder Sanok







1 comment:

  1. Águas Claras can be interpreted as "Clear Water"

    ReplyDelete