Monday, March 17, 2014

Still adjusting to the new culture.....

It sounds like it has been another rough week as Elder Sanok adjusts to the culture in Brazil and gets his feet used to all the walking he is doing as well as his stomach used to the different food he is eating. As I was thinking over the past week after we got his last email, I thought, wait -- we had been preparing Daniel for some of the things that he is experiencing. He was sleeping on a mattress on the floor for a few weeks before he left on his mission because we moved to a new home and he didn't have a room ;)
Anyway, he also sent a picture of a beautiful sunset that he saw one night last week. After we moved down here to Florida, we have all been in constant awe of the beauty of the sky down here. We have seen so many beautiful sunsets, and the picture he sent us looked so similar to a sunset we saw here that it made me realize we are all under the same beautiful sky, even though we are so far apart right now, and that God has created so much beauty in this earth for us to see!! It was a "tender mercy" to us today that we were able to feel some sort of connection to each other and of God's love for all of us!

"I have to admit, I miss home, family, America, everything that Brazil doesn't have. It's a beautiful country, but its not home to me. Last Monday we just stayed in for the night and ordered a pizza and watched the movie, 17 Miracles. The rest of the week was a lot of walking and a lot of work. This is so hard physically, emotionally, and mentally. We walk miles every day in the blazing hot sun and I'm getting a really funny "missionary tan." We taught many lessons this week. I really had a hard time when we were teaching the Plan of Salvation to this one woman because we were talking about how families can be together forever and I decided to pull out a picture of my family and bear testimony that I know I'll be with them forever. I broke down crying and it was so hard to go on, but I told her that I wouldn't be here if I didn't know that this was true. I wouldn't leave my life behind for two years if this was a joke. A missionary is someone who leaves their family behind for 2 years so that they can teach others how they can be with theirs for eternity. I know that these things are true, but I have such a hard time expressing my heart in Portuguese. It's really difficult being in an environment where everything around you is so different. We are teaching these three sisters and one of them out of the blue the other day told us that she prayed about what we've been teaching and she wants to get baptized. Her two sisters took on our challenge to pray about it too so we will see what happens there. Oh, I also went to McDonald's this week. That made me happy. I miss you all so much."




No comments:

Post a Comment