Monday, July 28, 2014

Burnin ties, #JesusMome​nts, and "the big Mormon church with a gold statue on top"

What's good? Well this week was super fast but super long at the same time. The first half flew by because we were in Porto Alegre for the first 3 days doing a doctor appointment, Zone Conference, and the Temple.  Zone Conference was cool because I could actually understand it this time unlike my first one a couple months ago.  We were also presented with our certificates from when we achieved the gold standard of excellence! That day was also my 6 month mark so to celebrate, I did the traditional "burning of the tie"! You all know how I like fire so that was fun. The temple was awesome, as usual. Getting there was pretty stressful. We were told to get on a certain bus but turns out it was the wrong one. We ended up in who knows where in the middle of the city. With about 20 minutes till the service started, we decided to just grab a taxi to see if the driver could know where we were. Turns out we were about a 30 minute drive from the "big Mormon church with a gold statue on the top" as we told the guy. We explained that we needed to get there in 20 minutes so he told us to buckle up and flew through the back roads of Porto Alegre and got us there with less than 5 minutes until it started. We sprinted in. I don't think I've ever seen old temple workers move with such speed to help us. The temple is just a good place to feel some peace and just get away from the world - it was good to be there. The rest of the week kinda just dragged on. We saved a guy's life - literally. We were taking a little snack break around like 7:00 before an appointment, when out of nowhere comes this guy drunk out of his mind and could barely walk straight. He came right in front of us and just fell right over. We jumped up and took care of him. I made sure he was alright while Elder Buhler called one of our investigators who lived close to come help. Good thing we were there to help, and we got him home safely to his worried wife #JesusMoment. He totally could have just jumped in front of a car or who knows what. Saturday, we had lunch with these members that live right next to this lake and since we finished lunch early, we took an hour break and just chilled on a bench that overlooked the lake. It was super peaceful because water makes me feel at home. I gave a talk in church on Sunday. I spoke for 10 mins on the importance of reading and studying the scriptures. I honestly felt pretty comfortable doing it. It's funny how the mission kinda just changes you into a decent public speaker. I didn't have to sit and read off a piece of paper like I used to when giving talks. I just got up there, read some scriptures, told a story, and filled in the rest of the time with personal insight. But yeah, that's about it for Dan the Missionary chillin' down here in Águas Claras, Brasil for 6 months straight!






No comments:

Post a Comment