Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Don't Forget Your Clown Wig While Drinking Chimarrão

Dear family, friends, and anyone else who takes the time to read these weekly updates of my life here in Brazil,

HAPPY ST PATRICK'S DAY! I almost forgot that tomorrow is St Patrick's day. Since they really only celebrate Carnaval, Christmas, and Easter here, I forget what holidays are holidays in the USA. But it's all good because I've got a green tie just in case anyone here knows about the whole pinching thing.

This week was a pretty productive week. We're having a lot of success in a part of our area, Laranjal (the beach town). It's an area about 15 minutes away from the city by bus so the missionaries haven't really ever worked there.  Fortunately there are TONS of houses out there so we never run out of doors to knock (by clapping hands at the fence). We've been able to get a good teaching group going out there which keeps us busy throughout the week. The majority are progressing in terms of reading the Book of Mormon, praying, obeying the commandments, etc. but it's hard to get the people to church because of the distance. Lol this week we decided to start knocking houses that have cars in the front because then they can't give us excuses for not going to church. We had a pretty cool experience this week when as we were headed to catch a bus back to the city, my comp's legs locked up and told me that he didn't feel like we should leave yet. I was like "dude, we gotta catch a bus because it only passes once per hour!" and he turned around and started walking down the road telling me that there was something we still needed to do. I'm crazy for spiritual experiences and love seeing the outcome of a prompting because you never know what'll happen so we headed off down the road. We came up to a GIGANTIC house and my comp looked at me and I looked at him and we were both like "ah crap, this is the house..." lol just to explain, rich people usually just give us the finger and tell us to get lost so we don't spend a lot of time knocking doors like that but since it was a prompting we gave in and clapped our hands... Long story short, we met a super awesome and receptive family that is super interested in the church. So far we've only said a prayer to bless their family and explained a little about who we are and what our message is about but this week we're headed back to teach an awesome family about the awesome restored gospel!

Saturday was a super cool day. The other elders had 4 baptisms which I got to know really well as they have been attending church lately and I was able to do their baptismal interviews. The coolest part was that one of the elders (an American) had just finished his mission and his parents flew down to pick him up and they were able to participate in the baptism. His dad baptized one of the people - cool situation: an american baptizing in Brazil in Spanish (because he speaks Spanish). lol. They were awesome people and appreciated my help translating for them. Made me excited for when y'all come down to pick me up! We also performed a special musical number with two young women - I Feel My Savior's Love with Elder Dan on the keys.

Sunday they pulled a last minuter on me and asked me to give a 10 minute talk right as sacrament was starting. It all went well. I gave a talk about the importance of keeping our spirits well nutritioned. I spoke about 3 simple things we can do to keep our spirits strong and healthy, daily scripture study, prayer, and attending church.

Just to explain this picture real quick: we were at lunch the other day and as I was chillin on the couch drinkin some Chimarrão, the little 2 year old of the family came running up with a clown wig and told me to put it on so I decided to take advantage of the situation and snap a pic.

Hope y'all have a great week! LOVE YOU ALL!

Elder Sanok


No comments:

Post a Comment